Saturday, March 16, 2013

Copycat Chick-Fil-A (gluten and dairy free)


Since our son, Zachary was a couple of months old, I've been gluten and dairy free. He has become much less fussy, his bowel movements were more "normal" and his spit up became manageable.

I've missed Chick-Fil-A sandwiches since then. I haven't eaten them much, considering my one son is on a gluten free diet, but on occasion, I just missed them.

I do love the taste of their original chicken sandwich, but I don't like the fact that they have MSG as an ingredient. Boo!

So, I was elated when I googled "copycat Chick-Fil-A sandwich" and I found one! I put it on the menu to serve on my son's 4th birthday.

I had to adjust a few things in order for the whole family to be able to eat it. Everyone loved it.

The tricky parts:
  • Make sure the chicken is thin enough, so it can be deep fried in a short time.
  • Try to keep your oil at the right temp (I had a difficult time with this one!)
Please enjoy this recipe which is adapted from Pocket Change Gourmet.

Gluten and Dairy Free Copycat Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of pickle juice (key ingredient)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup soy milk (or milk of choice)
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tbs powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp each: paprika and salt
  • 1/2 tsp each: black pepper, garlic powder, celery seed and parsley
  • oil for frying
Slice each chicken breast into two (or more) thin slices. To do this, imagine laying the chicken flat as though it were a circle cake layer. Slice it in half as though you were making the cake into two thin cake layers (not two half circles).

Place the chicken in a 9x13" dish and cover with pickle juice. Refrigerate for 45 minutes, then let sit on countertop for 15 minutes.

Beat the eggs with soy milk in bowl. In a separate bowl combine flours, sugar and seasonings.

Blot the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Dip in egg mixture then flour mixture.

Heat enough oil to just about cover chicken in pan to 345-350 degrees F. Fry each piece for around 2 minutes on each side. Don't be afraid to cut into the chicken to check for doneness... its better than serving raw chicken! The outside can look done, while the inside is still pink.

Serves 8

Enjoy!

No comments: