Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hyperactivity

The other day I was doing some blog reading and I came across an important piece of information. I decided to do my own research and I found this article.

Here is the jist of the whole thing:

"A carefully designed study published in the British journal the Lancet shows that a variety of common food dyes and the preservative, sodium benzoate-an ingredient in many soft drinks, fruit juices and salad dressings-do cause some kids to become measurably more hyperactive and distractible."

When I read this I immediately thought of Seth. I think if anyone knows him they could understand exactly where I'm coming from.

 So, I decided to try and steer clear of this sodium benzoate fellow and keep a closer eye on Seth's actions. I noticed him to be active and playful and sometimes even a little rough, but not too bad. This afternoon, however, it was like the Seth that drives me up the wall. He was thrashing around instead of going to bed (he never did fall asleep). Later it seemed like every minute I had to yell at him for hurting Tabitha, knocking down Patricia, ripping the cushions off of the couch, etc, etc. I thought to myself, "in my mind he's acting like how I'd assume he'd act if he ate sodium benzoate." Wouldn't you know it....I checked the package of pierogies that we ate for lunch and they had it in them! They're a frozen food item, why do they need a preservative? Somebody please clue me in on this one.

I think I've been doing pretty good with the foods they get, but now I really have to keep a watchful eye, especially for Seth's sake. Even some bakery goods contain the stuff. Oh well, I guess that means more baking for me! 

Has anybody else had any experience with this? Please do impart some wisdom.

Verse for thought: "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8

1 comment:

Eryn said...

cant help you with that, but it is very interesting. i have a extremely hyper child myself, but i know some of it is hereditery.