Thursday, January 24, 2013

Eye trauma and Goodwill

What do you think of Ian's eye injury?

I'll tell you he wasn't smiling when it happened... neither was I nor my mom nor Enoch. No, we were all holding our hearts in the pits of our stomachs.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" Thankfully he got the answer right!

So, what happened?

GoodWill.

I've been visiting the second hand store since my pregnancy with Zachary. I couldn't bear to buy new clothes that would only be used for a couple of months. It took 5 kids for me to break down and start going there!

So, Tuesday night I was wandering around, after finding a few outfits for Zachary, when I spotted these toys brand new in packaging:


This is a popping up toy. The "great" thing about it is the hard center which helps it pop up really high. What a deal and all for $.71! Not only one, but TWO comes in the package!

You live and learn.

I brought this fantastic toy home. We couldn't really get them to work (imagine that!). By the end of 20 minutes, Ian successfully inverted the toy himself. He dropped it on the floor and WHAM, it popped up and smacked his eye!

He screamed, I panicked, but held it together enough to assess the situation.

He took a trip to the ER and a follow-up today with an opthamologist. Thankfully his eye is still good and life can carry on as normal.

Lesson learned: there may be a good reason that packaged toys are in GoodWill... think safety.

I love the card Tabitha made for Ian, though Ian barely looked at it. (Party pooper)

No comments: