Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year

Are you ready to burst into the new year? I know I'm looking forward to it!

Here are a few tips to help make a smooth transition.

1. Don't Make Resolutions... Set Goals

I gave up making resolutions several years ago. I never kept them and I felt like I was setting myself up for failure. This year, I decided to spend an hour or so setting up some goals I'd like to accomplish.

Some of my goals include:
  • read 24 books that I've already chosen (that's 2 a month - definitely doable)
  • knit 1 washcloth a month
  • watch 1 Spanish movie a month
  • complete the couch to 5k program with Tabitha and Seth
  • run a 5k
I have a few others, but you get the idea. Nothing I chose is too hard, but it does take some effort on my part. I have them all in a google doc. When I complete each one I can highlight them. Nothing like a little color to motivate!

Even if I don't do everything, I know that I'll accomplish some and that is more than if I didn't plan anything!

2. Think Positive

Notice in my list above that I only have things I'm going to do. There's nothing I said I'm going to STOP doing.

Resolutions are almost never kept, because they usually are something you're trying to give up and that just goes against our nature.

Try and put a positive spin on something you want to accomplish. For example, you may be tempted to say, "I'm going to cut down on sweets" or "I'm going to stop eating junk food". Both are vague and discouraging. Why don't you try something like "I will eat fruits or veggies as a snack at least four times a week." Now its measurable. If you follow through you actually fulfilled a goal and you can rejoice!

3. Instead of Daily, Aim for Weekly or Monthly

Some resolutions seem fun. Here are some tempting ones:
  • Take a picture a day
  • blog every day :)
  • try something new each day
  • make a daily craft/piece of art
Where ever your interests lie, there are some commitments beckoning. Its really hard to do something every single day for a full year. After all, there will be sicknesses, travel days, or just plain old busy and tiring days.

Its more attainable if you give yourself a week or month to take a step on your goal ladder.

4. Don't Faint

Sometimes the beginning of a new year can seem daunting. There's a lot new things you want to accomplish. You want to be a better you by the end of the year! You want to start fresh and not mess it up.

That's not always possible. Please read this verse carefully and make a commitment to remember it.

Speaking of the Lord's mercies, the prophet Jeremiah tells us that, "They are new every morning."Lam. 3:23

Some days we will fail, but take heart, His mercies are new every morning.

No comments: