Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Are you secure?

Yesterday I had to call my bank to order a new debit card. I had lost mine.

I was pretty impressed with the security measures they have to make sure you are who you say you are. They first asked for my driver's license number. I didn't even know they had that information! He assured me that it was right in front of him. I ran to get my purse and I gave all the numbers in the correct order! Next up was my home address and d.o.b. Easy enough. Social security number. I've had it memorized for years. The state and city the account was opened in. Hmmm, Enoch opened the account well before we even knew each other. I got the state right on the first try. I had to give him a couple city names before he gave me the go ahead. Lastly he asked how many checking and savings accounts I had. I had to take another guess (pathetic, I know!).

Finally, I was verified! I was glad I passed my own test. I wonder how an imposter would do. He told me the last time the card was used and he immediately canceled the card so no one could use it if they got their hands on it. I didn't tell him that I'm pretty sure my card is just stuck in a pair of pants some where and I just haven't run across it yet. I use all my time for other things, like taking care of kids and trying to keep up with blogs, don't you know. I can't spend it searching high and low for a simple card!

The incident got me thinking about security. My finances are secured in information. As long as no one knows my info, no one can steal my accounts. Oddly enough, the man on the other end of the line has access to all of my information. Why should I trust him? I think I would be very worried if my life was caught up in my money, because it's really not that secure.

My heart is set on heaven and my eternal security. The Bible is clear on the way to heaven. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." Acts 16:31

"For God so loved the world that He gave us only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

"God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" John 14:6

There are many, many other verses that make the way clear (leave a comment if you'd like more). Salvation is simple. I know I am going to heaven, because I have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and repented (or turned away from) my sins. When I stand before God, I have full assurance that I will "pass the test", not because of what I have done, but because of what the Lord Jesus has already done. I am so glad that its easier to get into heaven than it is to verify my finances.

If you do not have the peace of God, please consider reading the book of John in the Bible and asking God for understanding.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This gives us something to think about with all our new WORLD OF electronic
technology

GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had
their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was
parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and
specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included
a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been
prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been
ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen.

The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then
used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain
entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football
game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so
they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would
appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home
address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you
can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know
where you live if your GPS were stolen.

MOBILE PHONES
I never thought of this.......

This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on
her mobile phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which
contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet... Etc...was stolen.

20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling
him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking
about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago.'

When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the
money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen
cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin
number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their
bank account.

Moral of the lesson:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in
your contact list.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad,
Mom, etc....

And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts,
CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them
somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came
from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places
to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

*PLEASE PASS THIS ON
* I never thought about the above!
As of now, I no longer have 'home' listed on my cell phone.