Saturday, October 13, 2007

An hour to spare

Last night Enoch and I had some extra time on our hands, so we decided to check out a Korean grocery store that was in the area. I love looking at international produce sections. They always have a much wider selection of goodies. Here I found cactus pears and even cactus leaves, more types of mushrooms then you can imagine and a bitter melon.

They also carried things that I would not care to try, such as this black fungus:
Or these tiny dried fish. In one of the aisles they had quite a variety of dried fish packaged up in plastic bags. Maybe someone else would like to pop two or three of these whole crunchy fish in their mouths, but I think I'll pass: (Can you find any eyes?)
I've heard of this one before. It's a latin american pastry. There's a large number of hispanics in that area, so this store caters to them as well. This one is called toasted tongue, although its not the real deal. We did, however, see cow tongue, pig hearts and even a package of chicken feet (sorry no pics of these!)
This one, for some reason, tickled me the most. In the event that you're stocking up your pantry, don't forget to grab a one pound bag of MSG powder:

Have any of you come across interesting foods that many others haven't heard of? Have you tried anything different? Please do tell.

Verse for thought: "Then Job answered and said...the arrows of the Almighty are within me;
My spirit drinks in their poison; The terrors of God are arrayed against me...My soul refuses to touch them; They are as loathsome food to me." Job 6:1,4,7

1 comment:

Gláucia Mir said...

hey Michelle
I've had the black fungus and the little fish. It's common in Korean foods. The back fungus, when soaked in warm water, grows immensely. You cut it into strips, and it becomes just another mushroom in your stir-fried watever, though it's used in a common korean noodle dish I make. The little fish go great with fresh white rice, rolled in seaweed, along with a piece of avocado. It lends a great crunch and saltiness. I have some in my freezer. Tonight, Fab and I went to a super yummy sushi buffet. I had fresh water eel sushi. It was good.