Friday, December 7, 2007

Frugal Friday



Improvise-that's one of my favorite words. I really think it's one of the best ways of saving money. The other day when it snowed I didn't yet buy the kids' winter boots, so I had to cover their feet in plastic bags.  Yesterday I mentioned how our dryer needs to be serviced, so in the meantime I'm drying the clothes in our bedroom, which also gives us the much needed moisture. When Seth cut his forehead, I wasn't able to get to the Pharmacy to buy SteriStrips, so I doctored up a regular bandAid so that it would have the same effect. 

Today I was thinking about our gloves and hats. They are all shoved on to this tiny shelf, as you can see below. I thought maybe one day I'll get a Longaberger basket to put them all in. That got my dials turning. 
I thought about the different baskets we have in the house. None of them were suitable, but then I remembered a lovely EMPTY hat box we had laying around. It's perfect and it still fits on the shelf. Problem solved without going to the store!

Now in our case, it's not that we can't afford the above mentioned things, but its a whole lot easier than packing three kids in the car and going to a store. Not to mention that it feels good to know you saved yourself money at the same time. Next time you feel like you HAVE to get a new item in order to fulfill a present need, rethink. Is there anything in your house that could serve the same purpose? 

For more Frugal Friday tips, please visit Biblical Womanhood.

Verse for thought: "Who then is a faithful and wise steward...?" Luke 12:42

No comments: