Monday, April 11, 2011

"Try It" Challenge - Week One Review


Last week's challenge, Greek Yogurt, was very easy for us to implement into our days. I was able to use it 6 out of 7 days!

 Day One:
Mix all ingredients and enjoy around 4 servings.

This was yummy! The thickness does take some getting used to, especially if you're not used to eating yogurt at all, but it is filling and delicious.

 Day Two:

Popsicles
Spoon prepared yogurt into popsicle molds and freeze. Makes 4

I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about this one, but then again I'm not too big on popsicles. The kids, however, devoured them. Their actions told me that they liked them!
 Day Three:

Chobani Champions very berry Greek yogurt.

This is the first greek yogurt made especially for kids. It's yummy... aren't all kid's foods???
 Day Four:
Stir and enjoy one breakfast sized serving.

A couple people suggested eating yogurt this way. It was a great breakfast!
 Day Five:

Apple Dip
For this I used Tammy's Recipe for cream cheese apple dip, substituting plain greek yogurt for the cream cheese.

I thought it was WAY too sweet. I liked the flavors, but I really need to tinker around with this recipe to get it where I'd be happy with it.

The kids liked it after I added more yogurt. They ate theirs with a spoon and not as a dip.






Day Six: 

(Not sure why I can't write next to this pic!)

I used Alton Brown's recipe for blueberry muffins. They turned out great although I think I used too much flour. It calls for 12 1/2 oz, so I used 3 cups. I think 2 1/2 cups would've been better.

My batch yielded 15 muffins and they were gone within 24 hours, so they were a success.

Ian (our 2 year-old) was calling the berries "blue strawberries"... too cute!

Spiritual challenge: It was a good exercise to pray for our elders. Hopefully I'll remember to do that more often!

This week's food challenge is Quinoa. I'm a little nervous about this one, but I'm ready to eat!

The spiritual challenge is to listen to podcasts that edify.

Both quinoa and podcasts are things I've never tried, so this will truly be a new challenge for me. :)

2 comments:

JimSmiling333 said...

Happy to learn about Greek yogurt. Maybe that is why some of the best meals in my life have been in Greek restaurants and households.
Frozen yogurt is healthy and tastes good, but the big health advantage of active acidolphilous culture is lost.
Adding dry skim milk to yogurt (or milk) gives sweetness with much better nutrition than sugar. Jim Batley

Clare@peak313 said...

Hi Michelle!
OUTSTANDING job on the greek yogurt! Plus, this is the first time I've ever seen kids Chobani. That is so neat!

Can't wait to see what you have in mind for quinoa. You are doing great!

Clare