Tuesday, April 3, 2007

My Life Verse

A few days ago I read a blog entry that inspired me to write about my life verse. For many years I have clung to Hebrews 12:2, which says:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

What was the joy that was set before the Lord? Was it heaven itself where He would be back with His Father? Or was it us the redeemed ones? I believe it was the latter. If it was just heaven, then He wouldn't have needed to endure the cross. He belongs in heaven. It's hard to imagine that we bring Him joy. I know my own sinful self and it's hard to understand how I can still be pleasing to Him. But based on many Scripture references I know it's true.

If we are a joy to the Lord Jesus, HOW MUCH MORE should He be a joy to us. If we set that joy before us we can endure our daily cross. Since I've been thinking about this the past few days it's given me an opportunity to try and practice it. Every once in a while when I'm in a self pitying mood, I think about being with the Lord and all of the troubles seem to disappear. If only we could always remember to look unto Jesus, I think our lives would be a hundred fold easier.

No comments: